Coal and The KATY Railroad
click picture to
enlarge |Artist: Wayne
Sponsor: The Puterbaugh Foundation
Dedication: May 16, 2007
Size: 72 " x 96"
Type: Oil on Canvas
Location: 2nd Floor,
South hall, Supreme Court
The coal and railroad industries
grew together in Oklahoma – the
railroads bought coal to use as fuel and coal companies used
the railroad to move coal to market.
J.J. McAlester (1841-1920)
came to Bucklucksy in Indian Territory with a map of possible
coal deposits. Once
found and mined, he needed a way to move the coal to market. McAlester
knew that the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad (the “MK&T” or “KATY”)
railroad was looking for a new route from Texas to Kansas. He
loaded a wagon with coal and hauled it to Kansas to persuade
railroad officials to build tracks into Indian Territory. Once
the route was set and the tracks reached Bucklucksy, the
name of the town was changed to McAlester.
In September 1907, J.G. Puterbaugh (1876-1965) established
the McAlester Fuel Co. to market and transport coal.
Images are copyright
of The Oklahoma State Senate Historical Preservation Fund,
Inc. and the artist. Please contact Sandra Shelton at
521-5663 or firstname.lastname@example.org for
further copyright information.