President Pro Tempore-Elect
Senator Mike Schulz, R-Altus
State Capitol Room 422
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73105
For Immediate Release: January 26, 2017
Oklahoma Senate Republicans announce 2017 legislative agenda
President Pro Tempore Mike
Schulz and the Senate Republican Caucus on Thursday unveiled
a 2017 legislative agenda with a focus on long-term solutions to
build a more prosperous Oklahoma.
“This agenda is our vision of how we’ll make an already
great state even better. Because the decisions we make at the Capitol
have a long-term impact, it’s important we have a plan of
where we want to guide Oklahoma in 5, 10 and 20 years. Senate Republicans
are united in our desire to implement ideas and policies that will
help our state’s economy grow and put us on a long-term path
to prosperity. Helping our economy grow means more good-paying jobs
for Oklahoma families and more resources to fund core government
services without raising taxes,” said Schulz, R-Altus.
Senate Republicans unveiled the agenda at press events in Tulsa
and Oklahoma City.
“With a bold vision and leadership, our state can be a model
that shows free-market, conservative ideas can empower the individual
and foster a thriving economy. There are challenges ahead in the
short term, but we want Oklahomans to know we are planning for the
long-term and are working on policies that will benefit Oklahoma
families and businesses,” said Majority Floor Leader Greg
Treat, R-Oklahoma City.
The 2017 Senate Republican Agenda:
A MORE PROSPEROUS OKLAHOMA
• Streamline and eliminate excessive regulations to stimulate
job creation and economic growth.
• Provide more stability, reliability and transparency in
the state budgeting process.
• Promote economic development and the diversification of
the state’s economy.
• Support transportation infrastructure including the eight-year
• Identify job-creating tax incentives, and eliminate ineffective
tax incentives by supporting the work of the Incentive Evaluation
INVESTING IN FUTURE GENERATIONS
• Respect and support teachers by removing obstacles that
interfere with a teacher’s ability to help students learn
• Reduce administrative costs and overhead in an effort to
increase teacher salaries.
• Allow parents, taxpayers, and local school boards to more
closely direct and increase the quality of education in the classroom.
• Ensure accountability measures provide parents and taxpayers
a useful and accurate reflection of school performance and student
A SAFER OKLAHOMA
• Support law enforcement officers and the rights of the citizens
they are sworn to protect.
• Monitor the implementation of criminal justice reforms.
• Provide oversight of law enforcement agencies and promote
cooperation to eliminate duplication.
A HEALTHIER OKLAHOMA
• Promote access to quality health care services especially
for rural and underserved areas of Oklahoma.
• Encourage “block grant” programs from the federal
government that empower Oklahoma to infuse free-market principles
into health care plans.
• Reduce waste and duplication at health care agencies, and
utilize innovative health care delivery methods.
• Work with private and public sector partners to address
mental health and substance abuse issues.
PROTECTING CHILDREN AND SUPPORTING FAMILIES
• Improve foster care and adoption services in Oklahoma, and
strengthen support for foster families.
• Reform social service programs so they offer economic mobility
and help end dependency on government assistance.
• Eliminate restrictions on non-profits and faith-based organizations
that help fill the gaps in social services.
• Continue Oklahoma’s commitment to defending the sanctity
SUPPORTING VETERANS AND MILITARY FAMILIES
• Work to minimize licensing challenges for military spouses
due to relocation.
• Support public-private partnerships to develop a comprehensive
health care system.
• Ensure Oklahoma veterans are connected with existing mental
health and social service programs.
• Increase protection of service members’ financial
and contractual rights when mobilized or deployed.
For more information, contact: